Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Thankfulness

This Thanksgiving was Georgia's first big holiday to spend with the family and it almost didn't happen. Starting the Sunday before Thanksgiving, she woke up from her afternoon nap with fever of 102. During the night she required multiple snuggles. Around 2 am I woke up and started getting sick from both ends. I told Robert he had to stay home from work and help take care of Georgia. We took her to the doctor in the morning and they found nothing wrong with her. In the parking lot on the way home Robert started throwing up. The rest of the day was the most miserable thing for all of us. Robert and I were so dehydrated it hurt just laying there. We knew our plans to leave to next day for his mom's weren't going to happen. On Tuesday Robert and I started to feel better, Georgia was still sick. By Wednesday at noon Georgia had been fever free for almost 24 hours so we thought we could head down to Jackson, BIG MISTAKE. All Wednesday night Georgia woke up screaming and I could do nothing to make her better. She hadn't been eating well since she got sick, but you can never tell with a breastfed baby how much they get. On Thanksgiving she woke up with a dry diaper and a rash. I knew we had to go get her checked out. We went to a walk in clinic that proceeded to torture my child, aka run multiple tests. They told us her platelet count was very low and because of her dehydration they were sending us to the hospital. As soon as we got to the hospital the nurses were all concerned about her. They drew more blood (torture) and catheterized her to get a urine sample. I had to stand over her and hold her down. It was the hardest thing I have ever watched. Tears were rolling down my face and mixing with hers on the bed. When they finally hooked the IV up she was so tired she passed out on me. By the end of the IV, I could already tell she was better. She is doing much better now and is back to normal. This was a Thanksgiving were I truly had a lot to be thankful for. Unfortunately at the end of our trip we seemed to pass on the virus to Robert's mom, and niece and nephew.

No comments:

Post a Comment